We have combined the best elements of Western Medical Science and Traditional Chinese Medicine to resolve a range of foot and leg conditions effectively.
Acupuncture in Podiatry (Western Medical Acupuncture)
Why use Acupuncture?
- To promote pain reduction and accelerate local healing (reduce treatment time)
- To turn off active myofascial trigger points that cause pain in the body (Dry Needling)
- To reduce chronic and widespread pain in different parts of the lower body along the same Channels (Meridians), where needles are inserted (Zonal Treatment Methodology)
- To provide a calming and analgesic effect in the body.
At The Footwork Clinic, we are skilled and experienced in using Acupuncture to manage common but difficult podiatric conditions such as:
- Neuropathic Pain (Diabetic Neuropathy)
- Numbness or Pins and Needles in the Foot or Toes
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (Raynaud’s Disease)
- Cold Feet
- Hot, Burning Feet
- Excessive Sweating in Sole
- Plantar warts (verruca)
We have had great success in improving the symptoms of these conditions which often thought to be permanent or untreatable.
Dry Needling and Trigger Points
This is one of the acupuncture techniques that we apply to effectively release myofascial trigger points in the lower body. It is well documented that active trigger points may account for 70-85% for musculoskeletal pain in the body. A trigger point (or known as a muscle tight knock), is defined as a hyperirritable spot in the skeletal muscle that can cause motor dysfunction and autonomic. It can give rise to characteristic referred pain e.g. active trigger points in the inner side of your upper calf typically cause referred pain to the heel, mimicking plantar fasciitis symptoms, and trigger points in some of the glutes muscles can cause symptoms of sciatica. Releasing these actively painful trigger points can be life-changing for chronic pain sufferers. Discover more HERE.
Following tissue needling, a small injury site is created, resulting in modulation of immune responses, including an increase of nutritive blood flow and electrical current that orchestrates the body’s healing process. Needling in a painful trigger point often provoke a “local twitch response” (LTR), which there is a growing body of scientific evidence that causes chemical changes in the body resulting in the reduction of pain.
Our Acupuncture techniques have a key role in complementing our other treatment modalities to optimize clinical results for sports injuries and chronic musculoskeletal pain such as:
- Heel Pain, Arch Pain, Plantar Fasciitis / Fasciosis, Heel Spurs
- Ankle Pain / Injury
- Foot and Ankle Arthritis
- Bunions / Hammer Toes
- Aching Feet / Foot Stiffness
- Achilles Pain / Injury
- Morton’s Neuroma
- Ball of Foot Pain / Metatarsalgia
- Shin Splints
- Tight / Aching Leg Muscles
- Knee, Hip, and Lower Back Pain
- Post-Surgical and Traumatic Scars
What needles do we use?
We use the finest single use Japanese and German-made needles to ensure minimal pain/discomfort during treatment. We do not deal with poor quality needles that increase pain and the chance of adverse effects. Acupuncture needles are generally 7 times smaller than the normal injection needles.
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is the perfect replacement for needles when dealing with the needle phobic, with children, for areas of the body that are too sensitive or damaged, or for someone who simply does not like needles – see how we can help with foot and leg problems with our evidence-based Low Level Laser Therapy HERE.
If traditional treatment methods have not worked for you, chances are one of our
Sports Podiatrists can a difference for you! We have a focus on diagnosing and treating foot and ankle pain using advanced musculoskeletal techniques. We are the expert in lower limb pain and injury treatment and are committed to providing holistic health care to make a difference for our patients.
CALL US to discover how we can help you feel better today!
- Active Release Techniques
- Corrective / Rehabilitation Excercise
- Foot Mobilisation Techniques
- Fungal Nail Laser Treatment
- General Podiatry Foot Care
- What We Help
- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilisation IASTM
- Kinesiology Sports Taping
- Low Level Laser Therapy(LLLD)
- Movement Assessment Technologies (MAT)
- Nail Bracing
- Orthotic Therapy
- Shockwave Therapy and Heel Pain
- Trigenics Functional Muscle Neurology
- Western Medical Acupuncture